We provide a support service to the Stolen Generations to find their family and for family to find members who are Stolen Generations. The Stolen Generations are any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander who was separated from their family, community, traditional culture and traditional country. “Separated” can mean you or a family member or members were removed under past Government Acts i.e. Native Welfare Act, Aboriginal Welfare Act, etc. At Link-Up Victoria it can also mean you or a family member were adopted, fostered, placed in an institution under other government legislation.
At Link-Up Victoria we assist the Stolen Generations to confidently reclaim their Aboriginal identity, to wholeheartedly embrace their Aboriginal heritage, to happily return back into the caring arms of their people and to proudly walk on their traditional country. Our work is about breaking the cycle of assimilation that began long time ago when the governments of this country decided that it was best for Aboriginal babies and children who came under their care to not know who they were, where they came from and who they belonged to.
You need to be 18 years of age and over and resident in Victoria or Tasmania to be eligible for our services.
Our support service is confidential, sensitive and culturally responsive. We can help with:
- Accessing records about separation from family including adoption files, records from children’s homes or other institutions
- Researching family and cultural connections – liaising with Traditional owner groups, interstate Link-Up services, record holders all over Australia
- Obtaining birth, death and marriage certificates
- Tracing and locating family members
- Initiating contact with family members
- Guidance with family issues
- Family research advice
- Providing cultural advice and information
- Yarning Up (Counseling)
- Referrals to appropriate services
Give us a call if you are unsure about whether you are eligible for a service from us. If you think you are eligible for a service from us please click on the following to download Link-Up Victoria’s application, client privacy form and Client Rights and Responsibilities booklet. Fill out the forms and return to us